Friday, May 29, 2009

As I sit here...

As I sit here, in my dachshund PJ pants, sipping my morning S'more flavored coffee, and listening to the Beatles on repeat, I think of how much my life has exactly changed just in the past year.

I tend to get introspective from time to time, so just bear with me.

Let's start this story at the beginning. In 2005 I graduated with a BFA in graphic design. I immediately began work as an in-house designer for a local sporting goods company. As the sole designer for the company I basically ran to entire Marketing operation. It was quite awesome to be honest. Well, in 2007, January or something, they got a new CEO. And with that, a new business plan. By May, I was unemployed.

So I set off on the hunt. And a mere 2 months later landed a job. Problem was, it was an hour and half away from my home and also had ungodly hours to begin with. So I was NEVER home. Now for me, being the home body that I am, this created a huge problem. Apparently, my disdain for the job was showing through to my work output. And in December of that year they let me go. (Yes.. December.. i.e. two weeks before Christmas. And they gave me no severance OR unemployment payments.)

I digress.

As it were, that Christmas was the day that my boyfriend had been planning on proposing. After 8 years of dating, he was finally going to pop the question.

The only upside of being unemployed at that time, was that I could dedicate my full attentions to wedding planning. Which was nice in its own way. The trouble was that I spent probably literally thousands of hours searching for a job that would never come. Around July of 08 I decided to hold off the job search until the wedding was over. Which was in October.

Yes... I began job searching again in October of 08. When the economy literally took the most drastic nose dive that most people had ever seen. Awesome.

Needless to say, if you can't tell from the opening sentence of this blog, I never found that elusive job. Rather, about 2 months ago I jumped on the crafting wagon.

Hopefully some day I will find this venture to be more successful than my previous graphic design career. Because God knows that I already find it more fulfilling. And isn't that kind of the point?

No comments:

Post a Comment