Tuesday, May 19, 2009

New item and Name History

So real quick before I start my day...

First of all new item:


I did a few full size paintings about... hm... 6 months ago. Where I'd literally add SO much water to the paint that it seemed unworkable. Then I would splatter the canvas, and in doing so, I noticed that it would give such a gorgeous wave pattern to it. It didn't outright mix the colors, it just... smooshed them together in a really interesting way. (And yes, "smooshed" is a technical term.)

But I decided to try doing a few glass pieces using the same technique. And it came out SO pretty. I think I'll have to do that a whole bunch more times.


And second of all, I've been hearing a lot of name history stories lately so I thought I'd share mine.

My maiden name is Winson, and as you can tell just from the name, my family was obviously English before they moved to America. Around the same time as making my shop initially I had just come out of about a 10 year quest to trace my genealogy. (Love the internet! heh) But using the internet, and a lot and LOT of patience, I was able to trace it back all the way to the late 1700's. Anyway, I digress.

In my searching I discovered that family had come to America around 1915 or 1920. This I really didn't know before. My grandfather's father had died when my grandfather was only about 3 years old or so, so that part of my family history literally died along with him. And for some unknown reason, this unknown history has ALWAYS facsinated me.

I had always wondered why in the world, when the world is literally your oyster, WHY move to South Amherst, Ohio. I mean. Florida, California... somewhere WARM perhaps? But no, Ohio. They land in Ohio. Awesome. But why?

In my genealogy questing I learn that my family had all been Quarry workers. They moved from a limestone Quarry town in England to THE biggest sandstone Quarry town in America: South Amherst.

At the time of creating my shop I had literally JUST come across this information. And since then, all of my ventures have incorporated the word "Quarry" in some way or another. As an homage to my family history. The reason they came to America, and the only reason why I am even here today.

So there you are.
:)

No comments:

Post a Comment