Tuesday, September 22, 2009

I'm BACK!

I'm back! I'm back! I'm back!

So, after getting disheartened by lack of sales, and chasing these proverbial customers to absolutely NO success, I left Etsy. And was further planning on never coming back. Perhaps this arts and crafts creation, was just not for me. But about two weeks ago I log on to my email to that wonderful wonderful message in my inbox that says "YOU'VE MADE A SALE!". Immediately my jaw drops, thinking that this must be some sort of joke. I had long abandoned my shop, thinking that it was more likely that my items had long since expired. But after about five minutes of incredulous investigation it was true, I had indeed made a sale.

I still garner frustrations with Etsy. The market, it seems, has become utterly flooded. And my product is, quite simply, not desirable enough to be effective. I'm a business student... an MBA student, and I understand quite well how markets work. And I'm not the type of person to chase a failing venture. I don't put myself into denial, thinking that I can miraculously revive it. If it's not going to work, then it's simply not going to work. People don't care about hand painted candle holders. *scoff*

I love painting. I truly do. And It's not like I'm giving up art. Heavens no. I've been an artist literally forever, and I'll never stop being one. But I need to find a different outlet that IS desirable in some marketplace. What that exactly is, I'm not sure yet.

And until then, I've taken to selling to 'randoms' on Etsy and Ebay just to make some sort of semblance of a meager profit.

I'm now in the midst of a complete shop and mission restructuring. I've thrown out all the "advice" that I've been given and am trying my best to start over as efficiently as possible. Not quite sure what my new central core product is going to be. Still working on that. Hopefully I'll figure it out... soon!

No comments:

Post a Comment